In a previous post, Green Smoothies 101, we discussed all things green smoothies. Today I share with you the signature green smoothie of Nutrition Stripped. Introducing the Stripped Green Smoothie! The Stripped Green Smoothie is my daily go-to green smoothie every single morning, especially post-workout for easily absorbable nutrition. It’s loaded with dark leafy greens, sweet fruits, citrus, and a couple other delicious secret ingredients.
Freshly made fruit//vegetable smoothies are especially great in the morning to give our digestion a rest and continue with the detoxification process during the night before. It provides energy I need (and will for you too!) throughout the entire day with easy to digest fruits, vegetables, nutrients, antioxidants, fiber, protein and more!
What exactly makes this a “stripped” smoothie and what does this mean? The Stripped Green Smoothie is simply this: a high quality, nutrient dense, easy to digest green smoothie stripped from anything else but organic, raw vegetables, greens, and fruits. The Stripped Green Smoothie can be used as a “base” for other ingredients to build upon, which I commonly do. For example, I will add in extra vegan based protein powders post-workout, extra fruit, sometimes extra add-ins as well. Enjoy this green smoothie as a base or simply drink in it’s pure form, have fun!
Special ingredients in the Stripped Green Smoothie (SGS) |
- Cinnamon // Natural blood sugar stabilizer, perfect to match with the amount of sugar from the fruits in this smoothie.
- Turmeric // A powerhouse of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, and other health benefits I note in this blog post about Turmeric.
- Cayenne // just a little dash will do! Stimulates digestion, metabolism, boost immune system, prevents stomach ulcers, and fights inflammation.
- Parsley // Tastes refreshing, but also a rich source of antioxidant nutrients with chemoprotective compounds (a.k.a. anti-cancer!)
- Cilantro // Great to incorporate into your smoothies if you eat fish daily or weekly to help release the body from heavy metals.
- Brazil nuts // High in selenium to combat the large amounts of raw kale used in this smoothie. Brazil nuts are incredibly high in selenium, which supports iodine levels, which in turn support a healthy thyroid. Selenium is also a crucial mineral in the conversion of T4 to T3 (an active form of thyroid hormone, low T3 may indicate hypothyroidism). Just 1 brazil nut/day meets 137% of your daily value for selenium!
- Freshness // Ideally, when making this smoothie or any fresh smoothie containing raw vegetables and fruits, the best time to consume it is directly after making to ensure less nutrient loss.
- Although you lose some nutrients (minimal) during the blending and storing process, this is far better than not drinking this glorious smoothie at all!
- Storage // Therefore, when making this in a batch, I highly recommend storing it in air tight containers with minimal space left at the top for trapped air. Another alternative, you may store it in the freezer and thaw it out in the refrigerator the evening before drinking it.
- Tip // when making a large batch of this, sometimes I’ll keep all the fruit out of this recipe, store in air tight containers, and then once I’m ready to enjoy the smoothie, I’ll reblend, add the fresh or frozen fruit, and enjoy!
- 1 cup of filtered water
- 1 cup of coconut water (or double the filtered water)
- 1 large bunch (5 heaping handfuls) of organic lacinato kale/regular kale
- 1 large head of organic romaine
- 5-7 large stalks of organic celery, chopped
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1-2 bananas, chopped
- ½ cup organic cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup of cilantro
- ½ cup of parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon/meyer lemon
- 4 brazil nuts
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- dash of turmeric (optional)
- Using the Vitamix// high speed blender, pour filtered water(s) into the blender
- Add chopped celery stalks and romaine lettuce first, and turn on low speed to puree.
- Gradually increase the speed and add chopped kale.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until creamy!
- *At this point you may add more water to achieve your desired consistency!
- Pour into individual air tight mason jars or another air tight liquid container.
Recommended but optional // cilantro and parsley
To make sweeter // add more banana or stevia to taste
To decrease sugar // use half the amount of fruit and add stevia to taste
To make thicker // use less water, add ice
To make thinner // use more water
Optional // add fresh mint
Stay tuned for many other variations on green smoothies and non-green smoothie recipes in the future! How do you like making your green smoothies? Is this your first time trying? I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences! Comment below.
If you’re interested in making your own smoothies with the same blender I use, Vitamix is the one for me (and for you too!). I’m an affiliate with Vitamix, which means you get a discount when shopping through Nutrition Stripped. Simply click on the Vitamix icon to your right, here, or use Coupon Code 06-008786. Happy blending!
*Stripped Green Smoothie design by Trent Nicholson, Nicholson Design.